ATTENDANCE, absenteeism, and lates
11:10am – 12:07pm
1:30 – 1:45 p.m.
- When the warning bell sounds, students are expected to line up with their classmates at their designated door. Once in the school, students should move quickly to prepare for the start of their class.
- When students enter the school they must remove their outdoor shoes.
- Students who arrive late must report to the office and then proceed to their classroom.
- Students who are habitually late miss important learning time, can delay instruction, interrupt the lesson/activity, and can be unsure of what they need to do to catch up to the rest of the class.
- Parents are asked to notify the school (250-768-6628) when their child is absent due to illness. When an absence is unexplained, the school will attempt to call home.
- Students are expected to look presentable at school. A student’s appearance reflects his/her good judgement, personal hygiene, and respect for his/herself and others.
- Clothing with offensive words, slogans, images or clothing that promotes alcohol, tobacco, or drugs is not acceptable attire.
- Summer/Beach wear (tank tops, halter tops, spaghetti strap tops, etc.) is also not appropriate attire for school.
- Hats can be worn outside but must be removed when entering the school.
- During lunch and recess students are expected to be outside with their peers.
- The playground and school fields are all excellent places to play during lunch and recess.
- A Noon Hour Supervisor or Teacher on Supervision will allow students to re-enter the school.
- All students are to remain on school property during the school day – unless special permission has been given. Students leaving school property must inform the office.
- Some students, because of their direct involvement with a club/group or sports team, will be active in designated areas throughout the school under the direct supervision of an adult.
- Gymnasium, equipment rooms, and change rooms are off limits to all students unless the students are under the direct supervision of a teacher.
- Students are expected to be seated at their desk during eating time.
- Students may engage in quiet conversation or a quiet individual activity at their desk (eg. Reading, completing work).
- Students are expected to follow the direction of the Noon Hour Supervisors.
- Students are expected to ask a Noon Hour Supervisor for permission to leave the classroom during this time.
- Students in the primary grades (Kindergarten to Grade 3) should have a pair of indoor running shoes with non-marking soles.
- Intermediate students are required to have indoor shoes, shorts/sweat pants, and a t-shirt for Physical Education activities.
- Students will get homework from time to time. Intermediate students can expect to have more homework than primary students.
- Homework is meaningful work that supports the learning outcomes of a student’s education program.
- Students are expected to complete homework as assigned by the classroom teacher.
- Students can minimize homework by ensuring they are diligent during class time and by asking their teacher for help if they are having difficulty.
HALLWAYS & STAIRS
- When students move through the halls students must do so without causing disruption to other classes.
- Students are expected to be in complete control as they proceed up or down stairs. Running or jumping down the stairs is not safe.
- The phone at the office is available for student use.
- Students must have a phone pass from a teacher to use the phone at the office.
RIDING THE BUS
- The CTE and SD23 Student Code of Conduct apply to students riding a bus to and from school.
- Students are expected to comply with all posted school bus rules.
- Students are expected to comply with directions provided by the Bus Driver.
WALKING/RIDING TO AND FROM SCHOOL
- Students are expected to conduct themselves as responsible members of our school neighbourhood.
- Students are reminded that they not only represent themselves but also their families and our school when they are walking to and from school.
- All pedestrians should use the sidewalks and crosswalks.
- Students riding bicycles, scooters, roller blades or skateboards must wear a helmet. Students must walk once on school property.