Our Learning Story
Chief Tomat Elementary School
Welcome to Chief Tomat Elementary School! Our school is a wonderful place for students and staff to come together to learn. With a vibrant school community that supports the needs to each of the unique learners at Chief Tomat, students have a multitude of opportunities to explore their passions, set goals for themselves and reach their full potential. As a school family, we recognize the importance of celebrating each individual learner and their accomplishments. Our learning community is grateful and proud to be learning on the unceded Traditional Territory of the Okanagan People.
Chief Tomat Elementary School was built in 1996 and was designed on three levels to take advantage of the beautiful setting with views of Okanagan Lake and the natural formation of the property. The lower level consists of four classrooms, a preschool classroom, a multipurpose room and gym. The ground level houses the administrative office, three smaller offices for itinerant staff, a learning assistance room, the Gathering Room and the library. The upper level houses eight classrooms. An elevator links all three levels making the school accessible to students and others with special mobility needs.
Chief Tomat Elementary School is a Kindergarten to Grade 5, English language elementary school located in the Mission Hill area of West Kelowna. With a strong sense of community amongst all educational partners, CTE is a school that services a population of approximately 265 children who come from diverse backgrounds. An independent pre-school, which operates out of one classroom, further strengthens the connection between home and school as pre-school students transition into Kindergarten at CTE.
PAC (Parents' Advisory Council)
Our very supportive PAC (Parents' Advisory Council) meets monthly and is very involved in supporting school initiatives, supporting field trips, sponsoring artists in residence, and purchasing some equipment for the school. Fundraising involves gaming funds, bottle drives, movie nights and treat sales (baking, candy, and popcorn), and silent auctions. The PAC is very community focused having organized guest speakers at meetings, welcome back events, BBQs, Family Fun Nights, Science Nights, and movie nights. The PAC also sponsors annual bursaries for two graduating students who attended Chief Tomat Elementary School. It is a very familiar sight at CTE to see parents in the hallways, on field trips and in classrooms supporting students and teachers.
What Makes CTE a great place to learn?
- A collaborative teaching staff focused on inclusive, differentiated instruction and committed to professional development
- A strong feeling of community and collaboration amongst educational partners
- A supportive and engaged parents' advisory council
- A strong School Based Team to support students and families
- A Pyramid of Interventions Model to support student learning
- A Pyramid of Instruction Model to support teachers
- School Athletics (Volleyball, Basketball, Rugby, Floor Hockey, Track and Field)
- CTE Social Justice Club
- CTE Choir for grades 3-5
- CTE Spirit Club
- Chess Club
- Numerous leadership opportunities for our intermediate students (crossing guard, morning announcers, playground leaders, clean team, etc.)
- Intermediate and Primary Reading Buddies Program
- One-to-One Volunteer reading program
- Harmony Day Celebrations
- A wide range of curricular and extra-curricular field trips (Skating at Mt. Boucherie Arena, Swimming at Johnson Bentley Pool, District Track Meet, Grades Five Camp at Gardom Lake, Lunching with the Law, City Hall, Potters' Addict, Mission Creek Eco Centre, Art Gallery, Kelowna Museum, Club Penguin, Safety Village, KLO Orchards, My Country Garden, Father Pandosy's Mission, Kelowna Community Theatre, Vernon Science Centre, O Keefe Ranch, Rotary Center for the Arts, Kelowna Courthouses, West Kelowna Museum)
Our School Mission – In partnership with staff, students, and parents, our mission at CTE is to enable students to be cooperative, confident, life-long learners in a safe, caring and respectful environment.
At Chief Tomat Elementary, our staff believe and value;
- strong and caring relationships between students-staff and home;
- student centered learning;
- emotions being integral to learning;
- learning through collaboration and;
- authentic/relevant/engaging learning tasks for students