During our January 9th 2020 staff meeting, our educators looked closer at the dimension of 'motivation.' There are various factors influencing a student's willingness and motivation to participate in learning at school. Some of these include:
- student voice and choice
- student interest
- the value that important adults in the child's life, such as parents, place on "school and learning"
- having a clear purpose and clear learning targets during learning
- personalized learning that meets the child where they are at
- student ownership of learning (student agency)
- relationship with the teacher and peers within the learning environment
Our teaching team narrowed their learning to focus on 'growth mindset.' Following the research of Carol Dewek, our teachers explored the overwhelming influence that having a "growth mindset" can have on student learning and success. Equipped with lessons ideas and resources, teachers will be integrating these concepts and practices into the school day in efforts to nurture growth mindsets in our learners. For more information about growth mindset (Power of Yet!), please follow the links below.
Growth mindset information